Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Thoughts On: Better Call Saul Season 1 Finale...

           Well season 1 is behind us, and I must say...it left me wanting more. I mean this in the sense that while I like the show, I wish it could have brought just a bit more to the table. Here are my thoughts on its first finale...

Where's The Danger?:
Tuco? Nacho? Gustavo Fring? I thought they might show up in this episode. It didn't feel like there was much edge to this episode (like having Jimmy fear for his life like he did in the beginning of the season), it would have added a lot...On a related note, I would liked to have seen more Mike...

Where's the Flash Forward?:
I really wanted another one of these, but it wasn't to be. If season 2 doesn't open with one I will
shed a single tear...

The Walter White Scale:
Lets examine the way the plot unfolded on Breaking Bad as compared to the finale (Not to say that this show should follow BB exactly)...
1. Breaking Bad- It took Walter 1 episode to turn his life around and it took him 5 more episodes to get the Tuco plot going.
2. Better Call Saul- This show started with Tuco, did not develop a plot with him or his gang and then widened into the "what should I do with my life?" narrative.
It would have served the show better to have the finale episode come earlier in the series...

           I'm convinced now more than ever that you need to be a Breaking Bad fan to not only appreciate this show, but to actually enjoy it. How else could I have laughed at that Kevin Costner joke? Season 2 must have a faster pace, and while the characters are solid, they would shine with a slightly more focused plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment